At Open Repositories 2017 in Brisbane, Australia, the Islandora project unveiled a brand new sandbox site where you can take Islandora CLAW for a test drive, with a few test collections and theming set up by our awesome Islandora UI Interest Group. Check it out at http://future.islandora.ca and login with:
- User: sandbox
- Pass: Cl@wS@ndb0x
This sandbox is, like Islandora CLAW itself, still something of a work in progress, so you can expect to see new functions and configurations appear over the next few weeks, and a lot of changes to come as we work with the community to determine development priorities post-MVP (for more background on that process, check out the CLAW FAQ). But for now, please come in and kick the tires and get a feel for Drupal 8 with Fedora 4. Please let us know about bugs, improvements, and new features you'd like to see by filing an issue in GitHub (not sure how? check out CONTRIBUTING.md for instructions).
Some differences you'll notice from the old Islandora:
- "Add Content" - just like you're making a Drupal page. There is no special menu to add new Islandora objects in CLAW. Add them from any part of the site and indicate the parent, instead of having to navigate to the collection you want the object created in.
- Your objects are nodes. Don't like the standard collection view? Go ahead and use Drupal Views to build whatever you like.
- No XML Form Builder. Want to edit your metadata forms? You can use the regular Drupal form builder for each content type to add and edit fields, manage displays, and even map fields to RDF.
A few known issues that aren't quite as we'd like them yet:
- Derivative creation is still being developed, so you have to add your own thumbnails and medium-sized files.
- You can only use jpegs for the MEDIUM_SIZE datastream. This is a quick fix, but it didn't quite make it into the sandbox, so expect to see this corrected in the near future.
We will periodically wipe and restore the sandbox, so don't put anything there that you want to keep. If you would like your own enduring copy of Islandora CLAW to play with, you can build your own virtual machine with the Islandora CLAW Vagrant.
You can see slides from the sessions where we launched the next phase of CLAW here: