As Islandora 8 (known during development as Islandora CLAW) swiftly approaches its first official release, the Islandora Foundation would like to clarify our plans for continued support for active versions of our platform.
Drupal itself has a public timeline for support of Drupal 7 and 8 as development of Drupal 9 progresses, as outlined here. Both versions will be supported until November, 2021, so this also represents our own minimum support timeline for Islandora 7.x (which uses Fedora 3). Support may continue beyond this point, as determined by the needs of our community. The Islandora Foundation is committed to the approach outlined after Islandoracon 2017: letting the rates of usage and support for Islandora 7.x in the community drive the timeline for official support.
Support for Islandora 8 (which uses Fedora 5 and beyond) will also be informed in part by Drupal’s timelines, and mostly by the needs of the Islandora community as determined by the Coordinating Committee, in consultation with the larger community. As the switch from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 is likely to be significantly more simple than from 7 to 8, we anticipate a similar smooth transition from Islandora 8 to Islandora 9, without the major re-architecting that moved us from Islandora 7 to Islandora 8.
The Islandora Foundation also recognizes that supporting 7 and 8 means supporting tools for migration, and so these will be an integral part of Islandora 8’s first release.
These timelines will be reviewed as EOL dates approached to verify that they reflect the needs of the Islandora community:
- Drupal 7 EOL (end of life) - November, 2021
- Islandora 7.x
- One release per year: 2019
- No new features will be added: November, 2020
- No new bug fixes will be made: November, 2021
- No new security fixes will be made: April, 2022
- Islandora 7.x
- Drupal 8 EOL - November, 2021
- Islandora 8.x EOS: No formal end of support is planned. Islandora 8 will transition into Islandora 9 as a relatively minor upgrade, not a migration.
- Drupal 9 Release: June, 2020
- Islandora 9.x Release: August 2020