Local hotels for King’s College London
The Islandora camp will be held at the Strand campus of King’s College London: London WC2R 2LS.
The nearest hotels are:
- Strand Palace Hotel, 372 Strand, London, WC2R 0JJ. Nearest tube Temple or Covent Garden. Very near, a bit pricey but very nice!
- Travelodge Covent Garden, 10 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5RE. 5 minutes walk away, hotel chain. Nearest tube Holborn or Covent Garden.
- Hotel Strand Continental, 143 Strand, London, WC2R 1JA. A budget option, this is a hostel very near campus. Nearest tube Temple or Covent Garden
- The Imperial London hotels (six hotels located in Bloomsbury, near to campus) The Bedford is the nearest to Camp, but this is a group of six hotels all within reasonable walking distance of campus. Nearest tube Russell Square, Euston, Euston Square, Kings Cross, Goodge Street, Holborn
- The Bonnington Hotel, 92 Southampton Row, London, WC1B 4BH, 0044 20 7242 2828. One of King’s College London official hotels. Nearest tube Holborn or Russell Square.
This is just a handful of hotels, there are lots of options. For more variety, check out this booking.com link, filtered by distance from the Camp.
Alternatively, look for hotels in the districts/neighbourhoods of Central London/Theatreland/Strand/Covent Garden/West End/Bloomsbury/Westminster/Waterloo.
If you’re not staying within walking distance, the Tube (Underground) makes getting around London very easy wherever you stay, although it will be very crowded at peak times. Plenty of buses, trains and taxis too. Getting an Oyster card is highly recommended for public transport, even for a short stay, as it almost halves the cost. Also, there’s the ‘Boris bike’ Barclays bike hire. Driving is almost impossible and parking is completely impossible (well, there’s an NCP car park in Covent Garden, which will be costly, and you need to pay the ‘congestion charge’ if driving in Central London as well.)
Nearby restaurant options for lunch and dinner:
- Cote , 17-21 Tavistock Street, London, WC2E 7PA. Classic French bistro only a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Price Range: 2 courses for £11.70 | 3 courses for £13.65 before 7pm. Menu
- Sagar , 31 Catherine Street, London, WC2B 5JS. Serving South Indian vegetarian dishes, Sagar is only a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Vegan, nut free and wheat free options are available. Price Range: average £7-8 for main courses; 'theatre menu' approx. £5.95. Menu
- Sofra , 36 Tavistock Street, London, WC2E 7PB. Offers Turkish cuisine and is only a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Vegetarian options are available. Price Range: average £8-10. Menu
- Bedford & Strand , 1a Bedford Street, London, WC2E 9HH. Offers British and French dishes and is a 5-10 minute walk from King’s College. Price Range: 2 courses 15.50 | 3 courses 18.50. Menu
- The Crusting Pipe , 27 The Market Covent Garden WC2E 8RD. Offers traditional British dishes and is a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Vegetarian and gluten free options available. Price Range: Pre-theatre menu 2 courses £12.95 | 3 courses £15.95. This offer is available on weekdays (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 12-9pm, Thursday and Friday 3.30 - 6.30pm).
- Efes , 80-82 Great Titchfield St, London W1W 7QT. Offers guests Turkish Cuisine and is a 15-20 minute walk from King’s College. Price Range: set menu £24.95.
- Truckles , Off Bury Place Bloomsbury WC1A 2JR. Truckles is bar and grill, 10-15 minutes walk from King’s College.
Others Restaurants (do not take bookings)
- Sophie's steakhouse , 29-31 Wellington St, The Opera Quarter, London, WC2E 7DB. Sophie’s is a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Price Range: express lunch available 12-5pm for approximately £10.
- Wahaca , 66 Chandos Place, London, WC2N 4HG. Offering Mexican-inspired dishes, Wahaca is a 5 minute walk from King’s College. Gluten free options are available. Price Range: £5-10.
These are just a handful of options. For more restaurant suggestions, check out this Restaurant Guide link, filtered by restaurant locations near Covent Garden and the Camp.