When booking hotel, ask for the UMKC rate. Attending a conference or other university-related event qualifies for a discount. Hotels closest to the Kauffman Foundation Conference Center:
1. Courtyard Marriott Country Club Plaza – hotel across from park with courtesy shuttle to Kauffman. 16 minute walk. UMKC rate as of 1/2016 - $139 double queen or king. Direct Reservations: 816-285-9755
2. Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza – business hotel with courtesy shuttle to Kauffman. 18 minute walk. UMKC Rate as of 1/2016 - $165 – Standard. Reservations: 816-531-3000 x603
3. Holiday Inn at the Plaza – moderately priced hotel. 15 minute walk. UMKC rate as of 1/2016 - $105 Single room (includes breakfast). Reservations - 816-753-7400
4. Best Western Seville Plaza – cheapest option. 18 minute walk. UMKC rate as of 1/2016 - $79 – Standard room (includes hot breakfast). Reservations: 816-561-9600
5. The Raphael Hotel – more upscale, historic hotel. 18 minute walk. UMKC rate as of 1/2016 - $179 – Standard. Direct Reservations: 816-756-3800
Travel from the Airport
Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is the airport of choice when flying in. There are several options for ground transportation to hotels near the conference center. SuperShuttle is the more common choice, and charges $16.50 one way. Tickets may be purchased in advance online or in any of the airport terminals at the SuperShuttle kiosk. Taxi service to and from MCI is available. Courtesy phones for taxi service are located both inside and outside the terminal at each bag claim area and at other strategic locations outside the terminal exits. Rates are $2.50 plus $2.10 per mile and may vary due to traffic delays and waiting time. Taxi service is available from the hotel to whatever destination is desired. Rental car services are also available from the airport.
The Kauffman Foundation Conference Center (where the Camp will be held) is a 10-minute walk to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and a 15-minute walk to the Country Club Plaza where all of the recommended hotels are located. Two of the hotels offer shuttle services to the Kauffman Conference Center if you would rather not walk. KCATA’s 47 Broadway bus (schedule) also picks up passengers from 47th & Main Street to drop off at Rockhill & Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd (4 stops) every 30 minutes on weekdays.
Participants may park at the Kauffman Foundation Conference Center free of charge. Parking rates at hotels vary.
The average high temperature in Kansas City in October is 68°F and the average low temperature is 47°F. Check for current weather conditions.
Food & Fun Things
VisitKC provides general information on events, activities, and dining options. The recommended hotels are all located in the historic Country Club Plaza, an outdoor shopping, dining, and entertainment district originally opened in 1923 and designed architecturally after Seville, Spain. If you’re interested in local fare and bars, just north of the Plaza is historic Westport. Below are selections from both the Plaza and Westport.
- Classic Cup – several breakfast selections with patio and sidewalk seating (map it)
- Winstead’s - KC diner operating since 1940; quick stop on the way to the Kauffman (map it)
- Chaz on the Plaza - restaurant in the Raphael Hotel, serving American breakfast selections (map it)
- Journeyman Café – new café with limited menu in West Plaza (map it)
- The Corner Restaurant – standard American breakfast selections, sit-down restaurant (map it)
- Doughnut Lounge –selection of sweet and savory doughnuts, open late, also serves cocktails (map it)
- Kaldi’s Coffee – a St. Louis-based coffee roaster with two locations on the Plaza
- Starbucks – for those who prefer it (map it)
- Oddly Correct – local roaster & letterpress design; warning: they are “coffee zealots” & do not serve milk or cream for coffee although they do make cappuccinos & lattes (map it)
- Broadway Café – local coffee roaster, serving coffee, espresso drinks, and a few snacks (map it)
- Crow’s Coffee - local coffee shop, also serves tea and snacks (map it)
- Gram & Dun - beautiful patio and southern-inspired food (map it)
- Jack Stack’s – hickory-roasted barbecue (map it)
- Jax Fish House - fresh fish delivered daily to this seafood restaurant (map it)
- Eden Valley Vegetarià- vegan restaurant (map it)
- Westport Café – French restaurant and bar (map it)
- Port Fonda – creative Mexican food and plenty of tequila and mezcal (map it)
- Bluestem – James Beard Award winning New American food (map it)
- Char Bar – smokehouse barbecue with beer garden and backyard games (map it)
- Beer Kitchen - American food and craft beer (map it)
- Westport Flea Market – burgers and a full bar (map it)
- Julep – whiskey bar and limited American food menu (map it)
- McCoy’s Public House – brewery, bar, and restaurant (map it)
- Kelly’s Westport Inn – Irish bar in the oldest building in Kansas City (map it)
- The Foundry - full bar, craft beer, and American food (map it)
- Ça Va - champagne bar and limited french food menu (map it)
- Westport Saloon – independent local music every night (map it)
- Riot Room – live music venue and beer emporium (map it)