Good Morning inhabitants of Islandora Land,
After a long 1st of March that involved a bit of 2nd of March of re: auditing audits, pull request reviews, last minute fixes, cleaning, pulling, IRC, coffee (hot and cold) and merging, 7.x-1.9 Code Freeze is a reality!
All thanks to a wonderful group of committed committers, maintainers and volunteers!
Some conclusions (skip if more interested in the next steps):
README and LICENSE Audits happened. Green marks on the spreadsheet required some interpretation but we did it. Many Licences were normalized and even submodules and sub-sub modules that were lacking since forever some pieces got our attention.
Many enhancements and a few new things made it into this 7.x-1.9 release branch. A group of involved committers worked hard yesterday to test pulls, answer all review questions and address issues. Travis-CI played its part in making this more difficult and even requiring some small bending of rules. Which leads probably to some future discussion that maybe it could be a good idea to not make pull requests that are not part of the release or urgent the day of code freeze itself to avoid a long wait on a single queue. Just some morning ideas.
All modules (except tuque which uses a different versioning convention) got a 7.x-1.9RC1 provisional version in their .info files, to make sure nobody installs them "thinking" they are final. This is different to other releases where versioning was added later in the game. But this is a different release! Things like auditing being done before code freeze allowed us some new approaches.
Everything reported in JIRA as a Bug (and proven so) can still be Fixed and can eventually make it into our release. Wrong documentation can also be fixed, means README.md files, even when already audited, will be part of the next process and any missing info can be added to them. Again, to make any of this happen we will require two pull requests: one to 7.x and one to 7.x-1.9 branches of the affected modules. No code tasks, enhancements or improvements are permitted in 7.x-1.9 branches from now on. That is the reason we name that a freezed branch.
I will create an updated and downloadable VM in the next 10 days (deadline March 13) to allow testers to do what they are famous for: test.
Again, I know for most of you there is nothing new here, but just wanted to let you know this happened (again). And again, for those new or just curious, don't hesitate to reach out or get motivated to get involved.
Component Manager, Auditors, Committers:
Please give your petted modules a look to see if i did my job correclty. You should see a 7.x-1.9 branch in your module and .info files should have 7.x-1.9RC1 version inside. If not, I'm a human being. Ping me and I will fix that.
Thanks to all of you to make this important part of our Islandora 7.x-1.9 release happen! I have special mention to Melissa Anez which not only served as communications facilitator-translator but also as active committer doing a huge amount of pulling and merging + helping me stay sane and extending her workday to be around in case of something exploding. Also to all those who fixed their pulls to address issues yesterday, those who reviewed those pull requests and those who merged las minute pulls. You are all great! Proud to be part of this community.